Babeth's Feast Blog
August 15th, 2018 would have been Julia Child’s 106th birthday. Her French culinary creations, her bigger than life personality; and her leadership in bringing French cuisine to the 1950’s American public, are a few of the things for which she is most well known. There are, however, other lesser known facts about her life. Here are 21 fascinating facts about one of the world’s most loved chefs.
- She was 6’ 2” tall.
- She was fired from her job in advertising.
- She was a breast cancer survivor.
- It was her time living in China that made her interested in food.
- She was the first woman inducted into the Culinary Institute of America’s Hall of Fame.
- She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
- She lived to be 92 and attributed her long life to red meat and gin.
- She played basketball for Smith College.
- She worked with scientists to create a shark repellant.
- Because she was too tall to join the Women’s Army Corps, she joined the Office of Strategic Services. She began as a typist but quickly moved up to being a top secret researcher, or as some people like to say - a spy.
- It took her 9 years to get her cookbook published.
- She was the first educational TV personality to win an Emmy. She would ultimately be nominated for eight Emmys and won a total of three over the course of her lifetime.
- Her grandfather was the Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts.
- She donated her home to Smith College and her kitchen to The Smithsonian.
- You can rent her house in Provenance.
- She graduated from Smith College with a degree in history.
- Her last meal was French Onion Soup.
- It wasn’t until her mid-30’s that she learned to cook.
- Her show the The French Chef was PBS’ first cooking show.
- There is a butter colored rose named after her.
- One of her favorite meals was Beef Bourguignon. Order it today!
What is better than a homemade smoothie? A smoothie delivered to your door! Choose from four refreshing and nutritious options and then just add ¼ cup warm water or apple juice. After 30 minutes you can enjoy a cold and delicious snack, meal or healthy dessert. No cleanup required!The Green SmoothieNo blender needed with our [...]
On July 14, 1789, the French stormed Bastille and set off the French Revolution. Known as “14 Juillet” in France, this day is honored in many parts of the world. To help celebrate this historic day, we have 10 irresistible chef-inspired French entrees, appetizers, sides and pastries that will have you and everyone celebrating saying [...]
Babeth’s Feast highlights versatile meal must-haves that don’t require heating up the kitchen or firing up the grill! The salmon, pork chops and chicken are grilled for you—and the beef brisket is already roasted! All four choices are boneless, always antibiotic-free, and awesome with little to no effort, in minutes. Pair up our grilled roasted [...]
Making a delicious dinner tonight might take an hour or two, or if it’s a Babeth’s Feast meal, 15 minutes or less! But when it comes to creating the actual recipe, perfecting your next Babeth’s Feast meal can take up to six months! We sat down with Babeth’s Feast Executive Chef, Frank Demarco, to learn the details behind his culinary [...]
We know how challenging it can be to fit a healthy breakfast into your routine— particularly when you’re on the run! That’s why we’re excited about the newest addition to our breakfast offerings: super-healthy, yummy and perfectly satisfying breakfast bowls! Packed with vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber, you’ll benefit from balanced energy that keeps you [...]
Make Dad's Day - Effortlessly Delicious! For Father's Day, our Best-Seller Samplers include mouth watering mains and sides for creating 6 complete meals - for under $60 + Free Shipping! Choose one or more of our best-selling samplers to make Father's Day gift-giving delicious and done. Each includes 12 chef-made dishes (six mains + six sides) for [...]
Babeth’s Feast is known for chef-crafted meals shipped nationwide. But did you know we have two convenient locations in New York City? Visit our stores on the Upper West Side at 309 Amsterdam Avenue (between 74th & 75th) and our newest location, on the Upper East Side at 1321 Third Avenue (between 75th and 76th) and [...]
Forget the fuss and skip the stress! When you have our crowd-pleasing, chef-crafted appetizers delivered to your front door, you’ll spend more time celebrating with party-perfect small bites, all ready to heat and serve—and always devoured! Our vast array of choices—close to 40 mouthwatering options—is like an insider’s guide to successful entertaining. Here we highlight just [...]
8 Meals Under 500 Calories While some companies may be skittish about publicizing the calories in their dishes, we are happy to share the calories in ours. At Babeth’s Feast, our all-natural food is crafted with only the finest ingredients—antibiotic-free proteins, farm-fresh produce and zero preservatives—so our small-batch, chef-made dishes are the perfect compliment to a healthy [...]